Corporate History

Corporate History

1929 Hanpei Sawai and Noyo Sawai (pharmacist) established Sawai Pharmacy, Sawai Pharmaceutical’s predecessor, in Asahi-ku, Osaka.
1948 Sawai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. incorporated in Asahi-ku, Osaka.
1962 Obtained manufacturing patent on garlic extracts, launched vitamin B1 preparation.
1965 Shifted operations from OTC drug manufacturer to ethical pharmaceutical maker.
1968 Second Osaka Factory (now Osaka Factory) completed.
1974 Former company head office building completed and Head Office relocated.
1979 Sawai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. changed the Company name to its current form and style.
1981 Kyushu Factory completed in Fukuoka Prefecture.
1983 Second stage of construction of Kyushu Factory completed.
1984 Osaka Laboratory (at that time) opened to expand and improve research facilities.
1985 Medisa Shinyaku Inc. incorporated (now a consolidated subsidiary).
Third stage of construction of Kyushu Factory completed.
1987 Medisa Shinyaku Inc. Kyushu Factory (now Daini Kyushu Factory) completed in Fukuoka Prefecture.
1989 Fourth stage of construction of Kyushu Factory completed.
1990 Research & Development Center (at that time) established to enhance research and development functions.
1991 Medisa Shinyaku Inc. set up as a wholly owned subsidiary.
1992 Sanda Factory completed in Hyogo Prefecture.
1994 Pharmaceutical Research Center (at that time) opened to improve pharmaceutical research.
1995 Sawai shares listed on the OTC stock market.
1997 Began newspaper advertising.
2000 Listed on Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
2002 Fifth stage of construction of Kyushu Factory completed.
2003 Listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
2004 Started nationwide TV advertising.
2005 Second stage of construction of Sanda Factory completed.
Mobara Factory (now Kanto Factory) acquired from Nihon Schering K.K. (now Bayer Yakuhin, Ltd.).
2006 New premises completed. Head Office and Research Laboratories combined, Relocated to current premises (Yodogawa-ku, Osaka).
Became majority shareholder in Kaken Shoyaku Co., Ltd. and made the company a subsidiary.
2007 New building for syringe production established in Kanto Factory.
Corporate Philosophy and Code of Conduct established.
2008 Sixth stage of construction of Medisa Shinyaku Inc. Kyushu Factory (now Daini Kyushu Factory) completed.
Hiroyuki Sawai appointed Chairman and Mitsuo Sawai appointed President.
2009 Third stage of construction of Sanda Factory completed.
Pharmaceutical Research Center (name later changed to [at that time] Pharmaceutical Technology Center) opened.
2012 Medisa Shinyaku Inc. Kyushu Factory acquired as Sawai Pharmaceutical Daini Kyushu Factory by absorbing production business of Medisa Shinyaku Inc. through spin-off process.
2013 First stage of construction of Kanto Factory completed (Scrap & Build).
Introduced Corporate Officer system.
2014 Sawai antiplatelet “CILOSTAZOL OD Tablets ‘Sawai’” received Asahi Chemical Formulation Development Award from Pharmaceutical Society of Japan (Incorporated Foundation).
2015 Kashima Factory absorbed through spin-off process from Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Factory Ltd.
Pharmaceutical Development Center completed and functions of Pharmaceutical Technology Center (at that time) concentrated in Pharmaceutical Development Center.
2016 Sanda Nishi Factory completed.
2017 “PITAVASTATIN Tablets” receive approval from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (first Paragraph IV Abbreviated New Drug Application [ANDA] among Japanese specialist generic drugmakers).
Acquired Upsher-Smith Laboratories, LLC and entered the U.S. market in earnest.
About Sawai
Message
Corporate Philosophy
Corporate Profile
Corporate History
Bases
Back to Top